When describing the ministry of Jesus, the Apostle John said:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. (John 3:16-18)
Today, I do not want to talk about bad news. I wish not to dialogue about the many horrible earthly consequences experienced by sinners in this life. These might include a lack of purpose, twisted thinking, ruined reputations, sour marriages, rebellious children, national chaos, cultural demise, persistent depression, sexual confusion, personal addiction, neighborly abuse, and the utter devaluation of life – both yours and your neighbors.
I am also not interested in treating the eternal consequences of those who stand already condemned by God. No, I will not outline that which Scripture describes awaiting those who prefer Lucifer’s leadership and ways. No! There is nothing you can do to get me to discuss either the temporal or eternal ramifications of sin.
Instead, today, right now, I offer to you good news.
- Would you like to be rescued from the fires of hell?
- Would you like to trade eternal torment for eternal delight?
- Would you like your future glorious inheritance to be fixed and secured by the unbreakable oath, omnipotent power, and unchangeable character of God?
- Would you like your future glorious inheritance to have absolutely no correspondence with your everyday performance?
- Would you like to have immediate communion with the Father?
- Would you like to have the Holy Spirit move in and take residence?
- Would you like to have immediate freedom from the shame of your sin?
- Would you like to have a renewed conscience that more quickly reminds you of your dishonoring, disobedient, and distasteful thoughts, words, and deeds?
- Would you like the Father to answer your prayers?
- Would you like the Son to pray for you?
- Would you like the Spirit to oversee your practical transformation?
- Would you like to have the Wonderful Counselor guide your thinking as your professional consultant and personal mentor? He can make the Bible come alive.
- Would you like to be free from satanic bondage; would you finally say “no” to being an addict?
- Would you like to have purpose in life; does significance and a reason to live sound exciting?
- Would you like to see the Ruler of the World build and bless his church through you? He has spiritual gifts ready to distribute.
- Would you like to enjoy a community of likeminded brothers and sisters?
- Would you like more love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control?
- Would you like to have more fun on this earth? God has given his people his rules for operation; his manual expresses how to enjoy life to the fullest.
- Would you like a growing, improving, and more consistent reputation?
- Would you like to be a less selfish and more loving spouse? Can you imagine marriage if both of you made such a commitment?
- Would you like to be a more Christlike, loving, and excellent parent? Can you imagine the benefits for your children as they hear and see the Gospel that has so affected, impacted, and improved you?
- Would you like to be a more beneficial neighbor and citizen?
Oh, my friends …
All my friends …
Friends of my friends …
Even my enemies …
All of you …
Hate, despise, and turn from the bad news, and instead accept the Good News of Jesus Christ. Through his person and work, all the bad news alluded to above can be missed and minimized, and all the good news listed above can be yours. All you must do is hear the offer and accept the gift. Bow the knee and say, “Yes sir!” Kiss the Son and say, “I love you!” Come into the fold of Christ and never again be treated as his enemy. He loves his children. He died for his children. He offers eternal bliss for his children, and until that glorious day he offers many earthly benefits as well. Troubled ones, there is no need for you to fret over what is to come. There is no need for you to weigh the costs with the benefits. This is a win-win proposition for you. Good news is right before you. Good news is all around you. Good news just might invade your heart and soul right now. So say, “Goodbye” to Lucifer. Say, “Farewell” to a life dominated by sin and its corresponding curses. Let Satan be damned and you be saved. Christ came for you. Christ is coming for you. Christ is right in your midst. Fall on your knees and accept his free offer of eternal good news today. And then fall on your knees each and everyday thereafter, for his good news and blessings are new every morning.