Marriage is a “Creation Ordinance.” God intends marriage to be a voluntary covenant between one man and one woman for one life. Marriage is to be voluntary covenanting of two people before God and witnesses. It is instituted by God for numerous reasons:
- Relation – The husband and wife become spiritually one
- Vocation – The husband and wife provide mutual help for one another
- Recreation – The husband and wife can enjoy sexual union
- Procreation – The husband and wife can bear disciples
- Illustration – The husband and wife portray Christ and his church
Marriage, for believers, is only to be to believers.
Marriage, according to God’s revealed Word, can be dissolved in the case of adultery, abuse, or willful desertion.
Children are a blessing from the Lord.